Wednesday, June 06, 2007

The end

June 5, 6 & 7, 2007 Tuesday, Wednesday & Thursday

At 7 am a university car and student came to take us to the airport. There was the same shit in the trunk, because they had asked for a large car, but neglected to add that the trunk had to be empty. 2 suitcases had to be in the front seat. The driver said that we had too much stuff. The student came to the airport with us and made sure that we got checked in. (They do worry about us. Feng had bought the tickets and he thought we might have to exchange them for something else before the check in. We didn’t and it was very fast.) The student said that perhaps we would have to pay for excess baggage, but surprise, surprise, we didn’t.

The plane boarded early, pulled away from the gate early and was in the air at the time that they said it would take off.

Back at the Holiday Inn Express. We are really getting familiar with this place. Went to Yu Yuan for the famous dumplings: (2 flights)



Went to the tea house to buy the tea to fill all of my orders. And then walked a bit and back to the room.

For dinner we went back to the Hunan restaurant that Chuck had found in the fall. (1 flight) The book that I had bought him (50 Best restaurants in Shanghai) has been very good.

Love the beds in this hotel – the only ones that don’t make my back spasm when I move.

Only 3 flights today

Met Douglas to exchange our stuff. He has things for Heidi and Thomas, I had his sim card. He took us to Julie’s pearls. She has moved yet again – but this time to the Hong Qiao International Pearl City. There were 3 floors of stuff to look at and be tempted by. I chose 2 things and they strung them to order while we waited. We had to pick the pearl strands. Luckily Douglas is good at this – it took about 15 minutes, examining each strand to pick the best ones. Chuck found a comfy chair out in the aisle and rested.

We went to a dim sum restaurant nearby for lunch. (1 flight) After lunch we found an ATM because we needed more money. Always cautious, remembering the horrible story of the machine that ate the card, we found a bank with international symbols.

Walked along Nanjing road. That is the famous pedestrian shopping street and went home for a rest before dinner.

Chuck had chosen another from his book. I actually made reservations! We walked out to a main street to catch a cab. This hotel is off the beaten path for taxis. The book said that the restaurant was hard to find and it wasn’t just whistling Dixie – the cab turned off his meter, because he had to go back to find it.

Fabulous dinner. The book gives the specialties and they do chose good ones.

When we asked for the bill, the waiter asked if we needed a taxi, they called one for us and told us when it came.

1 flight – I will be out of shape by the time I get home.

Today we go home. Douglas’ wife’s brother-in-law is picking us up. Unless the trip is even more exciting than the trip here (half naked seat partner), you won’t be hearing from me again until we go to Slovakia in 2 weeks.

The answer to the things that I will be happiest to see when I get home. (not counting the grandchildren)

It is a tie between: My bed which doesn’t make my back spasm, and drinkable water out of the tap. Having to boil or buy all water means that you are always planning to make sure that you are going to have enough. The luxury of clean water has really been brought home to me.

I managed not to have to use the Chinese toilets too many times. So toilets weren’t as high on my list. I was careful about my fluid intake during the day, so I was probably a little dehydrated all the time.

I think that this is the first time that I have completed the blog of a trip.

China has been wonderful. The people have been friendly and helpful. The children are adorable.


No comments: