Tuesday, March 09, 2010

3/9 Continues

I just had a short break for lunch. They have a set menu in the hotel. Today was Risotto with a smidgen of sea food and then meat, potatoes & spinach. I just had the 1st course and could only eat 2/3 of the portion. The others who were there had the whole thing. (They are refugees from the earthquake and have been living here since. Supposedly, they still have 2 months to go. There is a really old lady who tried to have a conversation with me at breakfast. Finally, the youngest man of the group, came and got her while explaining that I didn't speak Italian.)


Wadi Rum

If you saw Lawrence of Arabia, you saw our next visit. We were all quoting, "To Aqaba". (You remember - all the guys on camels with their arms raised and pointing and screaming.)

This was Maggi's favorite visit of the trip. I didn't like climbing in and out of the back of a pickup truck. We decided that her extra two inches was a real advantage. At some points, I had several people pushing as I tried to stand on the bumper.

The scenery is glorious - like an ocean of red sand.

The Seven Pillars of Wisdom - named after Lawrence's book.

Wadirum01

Racing pickups:

Wadirum02

Dave, Chuck & Larry to give you an idea of scale:

Wadirum03

Chuck and I (I am including lots of pictures of me - since I am normally not in them.)

Wadirum04

Petroglyphs:

Wadirum05

It had clearly rained a lot in Jordan, since the desert still had puddles:

Wadirum06

That little tiny greenish blob in the center of the photo is a real live scarab.

Wadirum07

A closeup:

Wadirum08

There are camels available for riding everywhere we go. Chuck and I are saving ourselves for the one in Egypt.

Wadirum09

Inside a Bedouin tent, our guides gave an explanation of their life.

Wadirum10

That's one of our group waaaay out there:

Wadirum11

Another Bedouin camp site:

Wadirum12

Lawrence of Arabia (He wasn't really as good looking as Peter O'Toole.)

Wadirum13

Wadirum15

After Wadi Rum, we drove to Amman to the airport. It was a little sad to say good-by to Mohammed, but on to the adventure in Egypt.

No comments: