Friday, April 02, 2021

Taos Ski Valley 3/21/2021 - 3/25/2021

 This was the real reason for the trip.  We had been supposed to go last March but NM shut down.  The house we were renting only gave us a voucher for a future stay.  We kept trying to visit, but each time NM shut down again.  This time we finally made it.  

The first thing we did when we arrived in the TSV (altitude 9,321) was rent skiing equipment.  Yoshi and I stayed in the car.  There is no way that I am going to start skiing at my age.

Our next stop was the lots that we bought last year.  The plan is that Alec will design and build on these.


The dark spot in the middle of the bottom picture is the "river".  In NJ this would at most be a stream, or possibly a creek.  We own 1/2 an island in the middle.  At the other side of the Hondo Rio is the Carson National Forest.

On to our chalet.  https://www.villasofdistinction.com/villa/new-mexico/taos-ski-valley/bavarian-chalet-4  They take much better pictures than I do.  We walk in a spread our stuff all over before any pictures can be taken.

We did have some nice views: 


That night we went to Sabroso.  The first time we have eaten inside a restaurant in more than a year!!  Calder didn't want to go and volunteered to stay with Yoshi so he wouldn't be afraid.  (Sweet boy).  We texted him a menu; he texted back his choice and we ordered takeout for him.

Monday the others skied and Yoshi and I stayed home and read in front of the fire.  I found this altitude to be a big problem.  After climbing 1 flight of stairs to my bedroom, I had to sit on the bed to recover and putting on my boots left me gasping.  We bought a can of oxygen which really helped.  (You put it over your mouth and breath in while pushing the lever and get a shot of almost pure oxygen.) 


Yoshi found a nice spot to take a nap.  At lunchtime they others skied down to the restaurant across the parking lot, picked up lunch and brought it over to eat inside with me.  I had a pork schnitzel sandwich with sauerkraut  which was enormous.  Branwen and Alec were finished then, but Jef and Calder went back for a few more runs.

For dinner we did take out and I just had a potato leek soup which had green chilis in it.  Very tasty and just right.

Tuesday we went on a snowmobile tour. http://aataosskivalleywildernessadventures.com/index.php  Big Al is our neighbor.  His house is just across the road.  He was thrilled to have a chance to talk to Alec and give him all the town gossip.


Dressing me for this was an adventure.  I had my own snow pants, but everything else was borrowed from Jef and Branwen.  Jef dressed me like a toddler and I wanted to say, "I have to pee" when she was finished.  The original plan was for me to drive the snowmobile.  When we got to where they were parked (Just up the hill from our lots.)  we had to walk up a snowy hill for about the length of a long driveway.  At this point we were probably about 10,000 feet.)  Jef pushed from the back and Alec had my arm and assisted from the side.  At the top, I was gasping for air so much that I couldn't hear the driving instructions.  Also, my glasses and goggles were fogging up.  When Big Al finished his instructions, he asked if anyone wanted to change their minds about driving and my hand shot into the air.  (I am not a fool.  Alec said that he was going to suggest it, but I beat him to it.)   I'm the one in the blue helmet and am going to ride behind Jef. 


At the summit (12,000+)  we stopped for pictures. I stayed on the snowmobile.  I was really happy at how easy riding along was.  Branwen was taking pictures all along.  I kept my hands near the grips just to be safe.  The young woman ahead of us dropped her camera at one point and she had to hop off to retrieve it.  Then we had to go faster to catch up to the group.  Big Al did stop every so often to make sure that everyone was OK.

I love this picture of Branwen.



No comments: