Friday, November 17, 2006

Nov 13, On to Shanghai

Chuck went to see where the detectors were being built while I packed. I made him take his ticket because if they stayed too long, he could just meet me at the airport.

Luckily the other guy was just as insistent that they get back to the hotel on time, so there wasn’t a problem.

Half the plane was made up of STAR collaboration people. It is strange knowing soooo many people in the airport.

The first afternoon we walked to see where the conference was being held and had an early dinner with Connie and Tom. We went to Café 1931. It evokes the atmosphere of Shanghai in 1931. We had an early light dinner and went home to bed.

We are staying at the Ruijin Guesthouse hotel. It is an oasis of serenity in the midst of a busy city.

The problem is that you have to walk forever to get out the front gate. The breakfast room is in another building (a problem in the rain.)

The room is lovely – but dim. There are about 10 lamps which combined are about 25 watts.

We have a couch, desk and king sized bed. I thought that I liked a firm mattress, but this one is a marble slab with sheets. I have to make a little towel pillow for my waist to hold it in a better position.
But all that being said, we went to bed at 8:20 and slept until 6:20!

No comments: