Wednesday, August 10, 2016

8/9/2016 2 castles, 6 hour drive on goat tracks

This was the farmhouse living room.

The view from my bedroom

We have a lot of territory to cover today.  Starting with Caernarfon Castle.  Built by Edward I, and never finished.  This is where the investiture of the Prince of Wales takes place.  There was film of Prince Charles and the Queen.


This was a big castle with many turrets, I climbed up and down one and then said, "If you've seen one you've seen them all.

I did spend time in the lower rooms with the slide shows.  Calder was quite interested in the film showing scenes of WWI.



Picked up fluff and fold laundry had lunch and went to our next castle.  Back to Harlech Castle also built by Edward.  He was a big builder!  The original Harlech was the scene of Branwen's wedding to the King of Ireland.  


Way down below is the Y Branwen Inn where we ate last night.


Then began our 6 hour trek to Salisbury.  This part of Wales does't seem to have highways or even many two lane roads.  We went from one goat track to another smaller goat track.  I asked if the navigation system was set to take the smallest roads possible.  I had told our next innkeeper that I would get in touch when I had a good idea of our arrival time.  THERE WAS NO SERVICE UNTIL WE GOT TO A HIGHWAY STOP IN ENGLAND!

When I finally called, Gary answered with, "Joan, where are you? I've been waiting for your call all day."  When I answered, "Wales, with no service." He immediately understood.  Then I told him our ETA and he said that he would be in bed, but gave me his mobile number and said to let it ring a long time.

Dinner that night was McDonald's.  On we went.  Gary had fallen asleep in his clothes and let us in promptly.  He gave us keys, showed us our rooms, told us what time breakfast was, and went to bed.  As we were bringing in the luggage with the door open, a group of men arrived to go in.  I made them show me their key before I let them in.  Now that I think of it, 3 men could have just picked me up and moved me aside.  



No comments: