Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Hello Wuhan

May 30, 2007 Wednesday

After breakfast, Chuck and Xiaoyan wanted to work on her thesis defense. I said that I would walk with them to the office so that I’d know where it was. She said that there was a big store about 2 blocks from campus and I decided to go there. They were really worried and wanted to send a student with me. The student was going to be a guy. Both he and I were relieved when I finally settled on a map of the campus with the hotel, their building and the main gate marked.

The store was having some sort of event outside. It looked like girls were going to dance, but instead they just went up on the stage and filled out papers. All of the girls in gray are clerks at the store.


The music that was playing was American nursery school songs like “If you’re happy and you know it, clap your hands.” A little boy was bouncy to the music and I said Nihao and bounced a little with him. His granny pulled up his shorts because they were sliding down a little – so then I was sure that it was a boy.

On the toy and children’s clothing floor, they had a play area:




There was a supermarket in the basement. The first thing that I saw was a display that included French’s mustard, both the jar and a squeeze bottle. Now! When I don’t need it.

On the way back, I stopped at a shoe store and bought 2 pairs of sandals for a total of 99¥.


This campus is very hilly, so they have trams (like the ones at Disneyland) to take people around. Xiaoyan had explained that there are 2 lines, so I’d have to show the driver the hotel card. She also said that I might have to wait awhile till one arrived at the gate. She neglected to mention that they cost 1¥. There were 2 waiting when I arrived, the 1st one was the correct one, and I had seen someone giving money as I walked up. Just happened to have the change from my shoes in my pocket, so I was all set.

I met Chuck and Xiaoyan and we walked to an on campus restaurant. (In my new blue sandals. I am happy to report that they are very comfortable.) This was the rose garden out side of the restaurant:



All of the campuses that we have seen have been really lovely. I think that because everyone lives on campus, including faculty, it is more like a little self-contained village. Went to the supermarket next door for water before going back to the hotel. Chuck had a small rest before going back to give his talk. (2 flights)

He likes to be early – so we started out with lots of time. Just as we hit the street, there was a rumble of thunder. “You go on,” I said. “I’ll go back and get the umbrellas.” By the time I got back outside, it was teaming. I saw Chuck taking shelter on the porch of the next building. He had been caught in it and was soaked. I sent him back to change and went on with the computer so that we could set up for his talk. This was upsetting for him, because he didn’t get back until the exact time that the talk was supposed to start.

I am really happy with the blue sandals – they got really wet and were still comfortable. I may go back and buy another pair.

I had to sit through this talk too. I think that this group understood better what he was talking about.

We had dinner in a room at the guest house. There were several visitors who are here for the thesis defenses. There are 4 of them in 2 days. Xiaoyan didn’t come – she was working on the suggestions that Chuck had given her.

1 comment:

Ana Petrova said...

Joan reading your blog is like going on a mini vacation!

Great "Minutia"