Friday, May 18, 2007

Still finding new things to see

May 17, 2007 Thursday

Internet still not connected.

Went to a new department store today. When I got into the taxi, there was much talking and no moving. Finally, the driver got across the point that he was not in the waiting taxi line and I had to go to that line. I think that he was motioning that he would lose his license if he passenger nabbed. I moved to the first taxi in the line and then everyone seemed to be happy.

Shang-Chi-Du is a pretty high end store. I looked at a pair of sandals and they were more than 1000¥. That is really expensive for China. Walked around the neighborhood and then taxied home for lunch. (4 flights)

Went to the office to check email and then took the long way home. They have opened the road on the south side of the campus, so I walked along it and then up to the east gate. Such adventures. (4 flights)

We took my student translators and another graduate student out for dinner. (Well – we pay, they take us.) They chose a new place, Mao Jin. It has Hunan food, so was quite hot.

We had a kelp soup, spicy tofu, even spicier chicken stirfry, and duck’s feet (never something that I would choose, but I am able to eat them. Chuck ate quite a few.) Wenhan had a lot of questions. Since he will be in the States next year, there was a lot that he has wondered about. What are bagels? Do we really eat beef bloody? Princeton is only 1 hour from New York? (His girlfriend will be at NYU!) He has been downloading and watching American TV shows. With the number that he knew about and asked me if I watched, I am surprised that he has had time to do his school work. He says that it helps his English – a likely story. He really does speak and understand English well.

Taxi back and home to watch 24. I have also found a news show in English at 11:46 am. (4 flights.)

12 flights total

No comments: