Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Last day in Hefei

May 28, 2007, Monday

This is our last day in Hefei. Tomorrow we are being driven to Wuhan. I hope to continue having internet access – but don’t know.

Spent the morning organizing all of our stuff and packing. Some stuff I am giving to the English teaching group. Some more books, lots of Dayquil and nightquil, food that the cleaning lady would not want, like peanut butter, etc.

After lunch delivered it to Sherri. Chatted for awhile. She showed me their library – I can see why they were sooooooo excited with my books. They don’t have much, but if I return here, I will have borrowing privileges. (4 flights to Sherri and 4 home.)

Chuck took the women’s presents to them today. We are all going out to dinner this evening. Someone is here for a thesis defense, and Fan Wang finally showed up.

I walked across campus to meet the group for dinner, along the way came across this hedge of gardenias. The smell was intense. Some little boys were using the blossoms as badminton birdies.


Another bride.




We had a room on the 5th floor of the restaurant, so didn’t have to walk up the stairs. After dinner we walked down. I realized that I have never included a picture of the food choosing room.
The center island had shrimp and meat dishes. Behind it on the left were the total vegetable dishes, in the middle were veggies mixed with meats and tofus, to the right (out of the picture were the cold dishes. Turning 180 degrees:

Here were the octopus, frogs’ legs, casseroles and on the right out of the picture were the fish tanks.

On the stair landing was a guy making a very thin bread. This one was going to have bananas in it. Some were savory and some were sweet. I think the choices were: banana, butter, peanut, spring onion, & tuna fish


(4 flights at home)

It is a good thing that we are leaving. We spent a horrible night being eaten alive. We never see bugs during the daytime, but tonight they all came out. Starting at the 1st joint of my little finger on my left hand, I have 15 bites in an almost straight line going to my upper arm, and that is just one arm!

No comments: