Saturday, November 04, 2023

11/4/2023 The Banquet, Promanade & Ball

 Another really full day.  A breakfast, then a really important speaker who really put the study of woman authors in motion.  Then more breakout sessions.  One on Gossip, another on early performances of P & P (known as B C or before Colin Firth) and the last on the idiolect or individualized speech patterns of JA’s characters.

My roommate has been feel really sick made worse by the altitude and dryness, so she went home tonight.

I went on to the cocktail party where we all mingled and took pictures.

This was a mother daughter duo who were helping run the conference.  They had different lovely dresses everyday.


The lady in pink (an homage to Barbi) is the president of our chapter

The gentleman was wearing a banyan, which is essentially a bathrobe.


I asked the Scot if he had his knife (sgian dubh skian doo).  He proudly showed it to me stuck in his sock on the inside of his leg. I told him he needed to put it in the sock but on the outside of his leg.  He then mentioned that that made more sense when you wanted to pull it out to stab someone.  The way he had it, there was a good chance he would do himself some serious damage.

After dinner (salad, beef tenderloin, chocolate ganache cake) all the people in costume paraded around the room.  At least half the people were promenading.





Then we went to the ball.  I had taken the dance class so was pretty prepared.  I danced 4 sets, which took about 1 1/2 hours and then bailed.  My toes were cramping when I got back to the room.  But  I had a really good time.  

I am glad that the clock turns back tonight.  I think I will need it.






No comments: