Wednesday, September 04, 2013

Thurs., Aug. 22 b

The Estonian handcraft guild had organized two lectures for us. I was assigned to the afternoon groups. This was good for me because after I walked around all morning, it felt really good to just sit and listen.

The first was on the history of the Estonian folk costumes.





These striped skirts actually were influenced by the court fabrics from Louis XIV.


Each area had a different look. These breast plates were a way of showing wealth.


The second talk was by a modern designer who,was reinterpreting the old looks into modern things. She had just published a book showing the ancient works and her new takes.



She embroidered on top of knitted items. Her things were beautiful.



Snakes made out marzipan.


I wandered around a bit to buy some things that I had seen earlier

When I got back Ana was really feeling terrible. She had spent the day in bed and was just going to have some soup for dinner.

I, on the other hand, joined the rest of the knitters for our normal feast. Because we want to taste lots, we order several courses (luckily small).

Clams


Mushroom soup


Lamb on lentils. Loved the lamb, but the lentils were made with black olives which I don't really like.


Creme brûlée.


We called the infirmary to see what they could do for Ana. They were closed. It turns out that the Doctor Is only in 1 hour in the morning and 1 in the afternoon. I have been fighting a little sore throat for a couple of days and am hoping that I don't get what Ana has.

Sebastian made his anImal in front of us again.


Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments: