Friday, October 10, 2008

Exploring with the Ladies



I joined two other wives for a day of exploring. Oda is German and we knew each other from several other conferences. Magda is Polish, but has lived in Germany for 20 years. She is a "newbie". Oda and I had both been to Beijing and had seen all of the biggies. Since the weather was wonderful, we decided that we would like to explore one of the big parks that was built by the emporers and is sort of next to the forbidden city. Because I promised showing how the subway worked, Magda decided to join us. She really wanted to find the Opera House - but noone at her hotel seemed helpful.

They both were impressed with the Metro system here. It is clean, easy to use and on off hours, not too crowded.

Every puddle, pond and lake in China has someone fishing in it. Most of the time they are accompanied by friends. We wondered if this guy expected to catch a whale - but the only fish we saw were about the size of my pinkie.

Came across a bride having her formal pictures taken. (I think that the pics are the most important part of the whole wedding.) Notice that under the gown she has on black striped tights and red shoes.The grooms always look a little ill at ease and their suits don't fit too well.

Oda likes to take pictures and so she was snapping away. The professional photographer was just as taken with Oda. Her curly blond hair is really different here.

I think he took more pictures of Oda than he took of the bride.

We encounter cute kids everywhere. I don't think I have seen a repulsive one yet.
We stopped for tea at a fancy teahouse:
This is the most Chinese Starbucks I have seen.

Stopped for lunch on the lake. We had noodles, shaved bamboo with beef and pork with peppers.
Oda was quite taken with my red coat, so I had my picture taken more than any other trip I have taken. She was always saying walk a little on and turn when I call.

As luck would have it, we spotted the Beijing Opera. It is known as "The Egg". Do you wonder why? The entrance is under the moat. We walked all the way around it until we found the front door. Then we discovered that the Frankfort Symphony is playing this week. Both Magda and Oda are from Frankfort. Magda was very disappointed.

Nu Shu had arranged an "authentic duck banquet". We went back to the same place. This time we added duck liver:
Duck stomach:
Duck tongue in aspic:
Magret de canard with abalone:

Sweet and sour fish:

And the delicious battered banana pieces that are then dipped in sugar syrup. You grab a ball and dip it in the ice water bath and the sugar crackles.
The fruit plate included Dragon Fruit that Marie and I had had in Paris last week.





1 comment:

Anonymous said...

those colors are just too beautiful.Tell the Germans ,we are from Heilbronn. They know where it is.
Love the food pictures.Weather is cooler today,but they expect Santa Ana winds this weekend. I hope the fire bugs stay at home!Crysty is back but off to New York today.Love and enjoy.
Greetings from Ursula