Sunday, October 19, 2008

Oct 16 Thurs. Catching up

Today was another day of exploring the area. First, I had spotted an outside market from the metro platform. It was several lanes of cloths, socks, pj's and warm jackets. Even though the weather is lovely, you can tell by what people are buying that it is going to get cold.

I laughed when I saw this guy. It reminded me of all of the demonstrators at the L. A. County Fair. I could have translated his spiel even without knowing any Chinese.

I had my hair cut with the "dry shampoo". They were quite excited at the shop when I pulled out my little notebook with words they could understand written in it. The dry shampoo part wasn't as good as Hefei. They didn't do the shoulder and back massage, but the cut was nice.

I tried to make reservations at another hotel - but they were full too. The only thing that they had available was their most expensive room - and that was very expensive.

Found 2 couples posing for pictures. I tried to have this girl hold up her skirt, because she had jeans and sneakers underneath, but no one understood what I wanted.

This couple was waiting their turn.

The leaves on the ginko trees are turning. In the daytime it is high 70's, but at night it goes down to 40's.

Loved the irony of the "Parking Place for automobiles".

Didn't go in the Avon store - but from the outside it looked like they had all the stuff.

The dining room was too crowded, so we had to order room service. We had ground meat stir fried with asparagus.

Pigeon cooked in Soy sauce.

and celery cooked with lotus leaves.

Chuck went off to teach his class and I returned the plates to the dining room. By that time there was lots of room, but with Chuck's class starting at 7:15, we have to eat at 5:30.

When he comes home, we have a cup of tea. Our room came equipped with an electric tea kettle.

We watch a little TV and read and then off to bed.

No comments: