Thursday, October 23, 2008

Oct 21 Hong Qiao Pearl Market

A day on my own. I convinced Chuck that he is a big boy and should be able to get back to the hotel on his own after breakfast. He whinged a little trying to convince me that I was sooooo much better at it than he was. Since he has never done it, of course I am better at it. But he hadn't brought any maps... I told him that I would show the cab driver where he wanted to go and then he could sit in the front seat and point. (the Chinese feel it is more egalitarian to ride in the front seat with the driver, and it is easier to point where you want to go.)

I hopped on the metro and was on my way. It takes about an hour to get there. I had been to this market before - it is 4 floors of small booths of shopping chaos. The 3rd and 4th floors are pearls and other jewelry. The 1st and 2nd floor have clothes, suitcases, souvenirs and the 1st floor also has phones, watches and other electronics.

Everyone is trying to get your attention. On the 4th floor, it is quieter and quite elegant. A salesgirl came over to help me. She asked where I was from and both she and another girl admired my red raincoat. (It wasn't raining, but the coat was the right weight and has deep pockets, so I don't have to have my purse or fanny pack.) Red is an auspicious color in China. My salesgirl did say that women her mother and grandmother's age would never have such a coat. I was much to be admired because I did. She then asked what age people retire in the US. She was horrified to hear that it was 65. Even for women? Here they retire at 50 (and then raise their grandchildren, because the mommies are working.) I explained that I had retired the 1st time to raise my child and then went back to work for awhile. She thought it was quite wonderful that I was able to do this.

I didn't buy anything and went down a floor. Ladyladyladylady, you want pearl, you want jade, what you want, I got. Look ladyladyladylady!! The good thing is that there are many customers, so it is quite easy to look and move on. I have developed this quite well now. The trick is to not let them engage you in any kind of conversation. "No, thank you," is too much conversation, because it gives them an in.

I did buy some stuff. Bargaining is now my game. The real trick to this is to not really care if you get the item. As you are walking away, the price can really drop.

After I finished the main building, I discovered that there is also a Toy City and another Pearl building now. The other pearl building was harder because there were many fewer customers. I don't know why, because it looked like all the same stuff to me. Now, when they were crying "Ladyladyladylady", I was the only lady around. They did have a lovely clean handicapped toilet so I was happy.

The air is getting pretty thick again. It is hard to see anything any distance away.

Dinner at our hotel again.

We had the cuttle fish again and turkey wings with 3 dipping sauces:

and asparagus

No comments: