Friday, August 12, 2011

Paris day 1

The kids both were excited about visiting the Eiffel Tower. We knew that we had to get there early, because the crowds are unreal. The lady in the information booth recommended 8:15. Alec and the kids got there at 8:30, and were in the middle of a Spanish tour group. Jef and I brought pain au chocolate and some drinkable yogurts. Then we took over the place holding and Alec and Calder found hot chocolate. I started chatting with the spaniards, so they stopped trying to go around us.

It was great. We got to each level without having to wait in any more lines and could see stuff without being squished. By the time we were ready to go down, the lines on the ground were snaking all over the place.

We walked back to the apt. for a bathroom break and then went to the Champs Élysées. We ate at one of the outside cafes. Alec had frogs legs and both kids tasted. I had croquet monsieur, which they also tasted. They are being fairly good about trying new things.

Alec showed them where he went to school and we visit every soccer team shop on the street.

We took the metro to the Gilmour apt. The big excitement was that I saved Jef from a pickpocket.

As were getting on the train, a young woman was pushing her way by in a strange way. I grabbed her arm and told Jef to check her purse. The woman immediately showed me her empty hands. She had a scarf or sweater over them which was strange, but I was still holding on to her. She wrenched herself free and hopped off the train - a real confirmation that something was wrong. She didn't get anything, but jef's purse was half unzipped.

We did a casual dinner with the Gilmours and went on the Bateau Mouche. I think a good time was had by all, but we are going our own ways. We aren't really doing a true sightseeing trip, and their girls are old enough to see more.

No pictures today. I didn't take my camera.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

1 comment:

Ana Petrova said...

You did not take your camera to visit the Eiffel Tower?
Good job guarding against pick pockets! You have to get up pretty early in the morning to get one over you!

Looks like you are having a great time.