Sunday, August 07, 2011

Sock Summit 2011 in Portland

Sock Summit is a convention for sock knitters. Yes, you read this correctly. It has all of the great convention accouterments - classes to learn new stuff, a marketplace to buy new stuff, and the opportunity to meet and hang out with your own kind.

My friend Ana and I had attended the first one in 2009. The minute we heard the dates for 2011 we made reservations.

Me, entering the marketplace through the "SOCKGATE" with my pretty pink handknit socks.



Some of my fellow knitters. There were nine of them - all in knitted Viking helmets, but each one a little different.



Here we are forming up for our flashmob. We danced to "The Time Of Our Lives". There are several YouTube videos you can look up. They had posted an instruction video so we could learn the moves.





I had to leave early Sunday morning so I missed the "fleece to foot" competition. Five teams had formed and named themselves. Sheep were going to be sheared, then the raw wool was going to be handed out. The winners were going to be the team that could card, spin and knit a pair of socks. A design contest had been held earlier for a modular pattern that could be knit by 5 people at the same time and then put them together.

I haven't heard how it went, but I presume that there are Youtubes of this also.

I flew home did my laundry and then flew to Germany that night.

There, now we are caught up.

Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments: