Thursday, August 29, 2013

Wed. Aug 21 b

St. Petersburg has had many names. During WW II it was Leningrad and suffered a siege of 900 days. The only food that came into the city was in winter when the Gulf of Finland froze and truck caravans crossed it. The people ate rats and wallpaper. Thousands and thousands of people starved to death. Their sacrifice helped win the war. We visited the memorial.



Notice in the last picture that it is a rainy day. We were scheduled to go to the gardens at Catherine's palace next. I mentioned to Elena that we like to see supermarkets. She looked at me like I was crazy, but the next thing was we pulled up to one nearby. We all felt that this was probably a very high end one. As one of the women commented "Whole Foods".

Nice looking meat


Tastes from home.


Lovely cakes.


I was snapping pictures all over the place. This was one of the only supermarkets world wide that didn't stop me.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments: